Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Musical words of wisdom

In middle school and high school I didn't want to admit this, but I am and always will be a band geek.  Over the years I have learned to play french horn (well technically called the double horn), bass clarinet and clarinet.  I also took piano lessons for a short period of time, and tried to teach myself the guitar (with no success whatsoever).  This may sound impressive, but I am ashamed to admit that I was really lazy about practicing so I never really became accomplished with any of these instruments.

Lately I find myself playing the horn a lot.  From the first time I heard it in grade 7 I was in love. I am trying very hard to find the words to explain how I feel when I hear the horns playing in music without sounding cheesy or cliché, but I think that would be impossible because it is cheesy and cliché. And I'm okay with that.  I know that I am really going to miss the local community band that I played in all last year.

Because I am struggling a bit with a new piece, I had a conversation with my extremely musically talented and knowledgeable friend  the other day.  I am trying to learn the song Romance by Camille Saint-Saens.  It is a very beautiful piece and so I'm trying very hard to do it justice.  I was having trouble understanding what the composer wanted me to do with the music.  This is exactly how the conversation went:


Me:  I have a music question for you - on a song Ive been learning they have a half note tied to a quarter note, the notes are both in the same measure and both have a staccato. Also in the same song there are slurred staccato eight notes- which seems to be contradicting. So what on earth should I do? lol




Friend: Play with your heart


Maybe he was just avoiding the question- but his answer made more sense than I think anything else would have.

2 comments:

Lyn said...

Tessie - I too was a band geek. I played the baritone and trombone. My favourite piece was a duet of the Impossible Dream with my pal who played the French horn. It's great that you are playing again. By the way, thanks for commenting on my post -- but you should know that I too am Canadian. I am just anxious for Americans to have what we already have. : )

photoworks by dawn said...

Keep it up Tessie... I don't have a musical bone in my body but I wish I did!