Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Surprise Package

They arrived today completely unexpected.  I felt a surge of excitement when Caroline, a fellow CIS teacher, told me there was a package in my mailbox.  A care package from home you suppose? No- I knew it could only be one thing. The one thing that I wasn't expecting to arrive until early December.  The one thing that could make my pulse quicken and my blood run warm.  I opened the package with anticipation.  And there they were- the four books I ordered from Amazon about two weeks ago.  Four brand spanking new books that I hope will help me become a better writer and a better writing teacher.  All four books are about writers notebooks and the writing process.  My hope is that two of them will help me think about teaching writing in a new and inspiring ways, and two are for me to share with my students.  These are the moments I realize that teaching is what I am meant to be doing.  It helps me get through the times when the administration duties and politics of the job are overwhelming.   I can't wait to get reading (and writing)!

p.s. my cough is much, much, better!

2 comments:

photoworks by dawn said...

Will you be doing report cards? No time to read for us right now! I envy you your package. Nothing better than a box of crisp new books.

Speaking of Christmas... You will obviously be away. Did you know it is possible to order turkeys from the US? Atleast, we did when I lived in Japan. It took us until the second Christmas to figure that out, but boy, was it a welcome package in the mail!

Tessie said...

We will be doing report cards- although I am not sure when. It feels like our progress reports came out just yesterday.

I didn't know about the turkey, although we don't have an oven big enough to cook one anyway. For Thanksgiving we went out to a restaurant that was hosting a turkey dinner. For Christmas I am going to Malaysia and Thailand!!! The hotel in Thailand is planning a traditional turkey dinner :D

I also wanted to ask you if you think you and your class would be interested in being pen pals. I have 22 grade 4 students. Send me an email to theresa.hickey@cis-beijing.com if you are interested!