Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sleepy Snowy Sundays


I knew I was going to miss the snow while living in Beijing, so I was ecstatic when I woke up this morning to see Beijing covered in a thick blanket of snow. Despite the previous nights' exposure, I had that cozy first snow of the year feeling that I can't fully explain but get every first snow. It was a little stronger here since I'm told it doesn't snow very often, and the other teachers have never seen that much snow at once. We read that the snow was artificially induced to help combat the drought in Northern China: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091101/sc_afp/chinaweatherbeijingsnow





No matter how the snow came to be, the warm and cozy first snow feeling was wonderful. My friend Melissa and I made crepes, doused in real maple syrup that she brought with her from her hometown in Quebec. We ate them and watched some of the teachers and their children playing in the snow. Even the guards were getting into the spirit of things! They were throwing snowballs, helping with the snowmen and lending their gloves to the snowmen builders. Later in the afternoon I went to Yashow market, bought a gucci knock off purse, and a prada knock off purse, some chopsticks to send home for gifts and a couple of picture frames. I love shopping, although it sucks when the vendor won't go down in price and you KNOW they are really trying to rip you off. I really have learned not to get to attached to any one item, and to just walk away from the really grouchy merchants. Mostly shopping is really fun, especially when you are dealing with a funny/friendly vendor and manage to bargain a great deal! AFterwards we stopped for coffee, which was the prefect ending to a snowy Sunday afternoon of shopping.

Notice the brooms they are using to sweep the snow?

1 comment:

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh wonderful! Does it mean your breathing will improve too?