Sunday, October 18, 2009

Made in China

One thing I learned very quickly after moving to China is that things here are made very cheap. Sometimes it seems as though nothing works. I've already had the school maintenance in my apartment about 3 times to fix things and I haven't even been here two full weeks.  First it was the glass door on a show cabinet that broke.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the door and it came right off. I was just lucky that it didn't shatter.   Next I couldn't figure out have to use my washing machine (who knew that it has its own faucet that has to be opened??), then my tub wouldn't drain, and today I had to tape my living room window closed with packing tape.  I hope that it holds because it is very, very windy right now and the last thing I want to hear all night is the wind banging my window open and rattling my door. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining, because I'm taking it all in stride- it's just the way things are here.  I've decided that living in china is going to take a really good sense of humour, a lot of patience and a few good friends to laugh at all the absurdities with you.

2 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Interesting. I guess quality control is the next phase they need to work on. We have had lots of problems with Chinese quality. Remember the problem with milk tinted? Be careful, and stay positive.

Don't forget pictures.
p.s. how is it that you your communication is not controlled?

Tessie said...

Communication is controlled, but there are ways around it. Right now I have two ways to access blogger and one way to access facebook- and hopefully I will be able to maintain them throughout the year. Strangely enough certain social networking sites aren't blocked at all, like myspace, while others like facebook are nearly impossible to access.

I will add some pictures soon! I haven't done any touring around yet, so there isn't very much to show just now.